different between sacrilege vs cursing
- sacriledge (obsolete)
Circa 1300, original sense “stealing something sacred”. Borrowed from Old French sacrilege, from Latin sacrilegium, from sacrilegus (“sacrilegious”), from phrase sacrum legere, from sacrum (from sacer (“sacred, holy”)) + leg? (“gather; take, steal”), from Proto-Indo-European *seh?k- and *le?-. Sense of “profanation” from late 14th century.
Unrelated to religion, which is ultimately from lig? (“I tie, bind, or bandage”), from Proto-Indo-European *ley?- (“to bind”).
- IPA(key): /?sæk??l?d??/
sacrilege (usually uncountable, plural sacrileges)
- Desecration, profanation, misuse or violation of something regarded as sacred.
From sacrilegus (“sacrilegious”) +? -? (adverbial suffix).
sacrileg? (not comparable)
- sacrilegiously, impiously
- (impiously): irreligi?s?, nef?ri?
- sacrilege in Charlton T. Lewis and Charles Short (1879) A Latin Dictionary, Oxford: Clarendon Press
- sacrilege in The Perseus Project (1999) Perseus Encyclopedia?
First attested at the end of the 12th century, borrowed from Latin sacrilegium.
sacrilege m (oblique plural sacrileges, nominative singular sacrileges, nominative plural sacrilege)
- English: sacrilege
- French: sacrilège
sacrilege From the web:
- what sacrilege meaning
- what sacrilege did enoch commit
- what sacrilege in french
- what's sacrilege in spanish
- what sacrilege meaning in french
- sacrilege what does that mean
- what is sacrilege catholic
- what is sacrilege in the bible
- (General American) IPA(key): /?k?s??/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /?k??s??/
- Rhymes: -??(?)s??
From curse +? -ing.
- present participle of curse
From Middle English cursing, cursyng, cursunge, from Old English cursung (“cursing”), equivalent to curse +? -ing.
cursing (plural cursings)
- The act of one who curses.
cursing From the web:
- what cursing means
- what cursing says about you
- cursing what does the bible say
- cursing what does mean
- what is cursing in the bible
- what does cursing mean in the bible
- what is cursing the holy spirit
- what is cursing god
you may also like
- sacrilege vs cursing
- drag vs take
- deftness vs talent
- devoted vs kind
- portrayal vs acting
- vibration vs beating
- inferior vs basal
- implied vs hinted
- keen vs bursting
- thump vs chop
- indiscretion vs childishness
- adroit vs active
- demonstration vs showing
- shake vs fidget
- honour vs celebrity
- meaning vs substance
- inbred vs natural
- avowal vs protestation
- kaleidoscopic vs varicoloured
- girlish vs unmarried