different between eyelid vs palpebra
From Middle English eyelidd, eye-led, ei?elid, eghe-lydd, y?e-lydd, ehlid, yhelidd, equivalent to eye +? lid. Cognate with Saterland Frisian Oogenlid (“eyelid”), West Frisian eachlid (“eyelid”), Dutch ooglid (“eyelid”), German Low German Ooglidd (“eyelid”), German Augenlid (“eyelid”).
Generally superseded non-native Middle English palpebre (“eyelid”), borrowed from Latin palpebra (“eyelid”) (see Modern English palpebra).
- IPA(key): /?a?.l?d/
eyelid (plural eyelids)
- A thin skin membrane that covers and moves over an eye.
- bat an eyelid
- hang by the eyelids
eyelid From the web:
- what eyelids do i have
- what eyelid shape do i have
- what's eyelid surgery
- what's eyelid tape
- what's eyelid primer
- what's eyelid inflammation
- what's eyelid in french
- what eyelids do frogs have
From Latin palpebra (“an eyelid”). Compare Middle English palpebre.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /?pal.p?b.??/
- (General American) IPA(key): /?pæl.p?b.??/, /pæl?pi.b??/
- Rhymes: -i?b??
palpebra (plural palpebrae or (archaic) palpebræ)
- (anatomy) An eyelid.
- palpebral (adjective)
- “palpebra”, in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press, 2019–present.
- “palpebra”, in Merriam–Webster Online Dictionary, (Please provide a date or year).
- (Balearic, Central) IPA(key): /p?l?pe.b??/
- (Valencian) IPA(key): /pal?pe.b?a/
palpebra f (plural palpebres)
- Alternative form of parpella
palpebra (plural palpebras)
From Latin palpebra (“eyelid”), from palp? (“touch softly; caress, flatter”).
palpebra f (plural palpebre)
- palfebra (post-classical)
- *palpetra, *palpetrum (Vulgar)
- palpebra: (Classical) IPA(key): /?pal.pe.bra/, [?pä??p?b?ä]
- palpebra: (Ecclesiastical) IPA(key): /?pal.pe.bra/, [?p?lp?b??]
- palpebr?: (Classical) IPA(key): /?pal.pe.bra?/, [?pä??p?b?ä?]
- palpebr?: (Ecclesiastical) IPA(key): /?pal.pe.bra/, [?p?lp?b??]
From palp? (“to touch softly; to caress, flatter”) +? -bra (nominal suffix).
palpebra f (genitive palpebrae); first declension
- (anatomy, usually in the plural) An eyelid.
- Synonym: cilium
- (in the plural) The eyelashes.
- Synonym: (Medieval Latin) cilia
- (Ecclesiastical Latin, in the plural) The eyes.
- Synonym: ocul?
See the etymology of the main entry.
- ablative singular of palpebra
- palpebra in Charlton T. Lewis and Charles Short (1879) A Latin Dictionary, Oxford: Clarendon Press
- palpebra in Gaffiot, Félix (1934) Dictionnaire illustré Latin-Français, Hachette
palpebra From the web:
- palpebral meaning
- palpebra what does it mean
- what is palpebral fissure
- what is palpebral conjunctiva
- what is palpebral reflex
- what is palpebral aperture
- what does palpebral mean
- what is palpebrae definition
you may also like
- eyelid vs palpebra
- lashline vs eyelid
- eyelid vs eyeliner
- eyelid vs pupil
- eyelid vs xyelid
- eyelid vs bleareye
- eyelid vs conjunctivochalasis
- eyelid vs eyelidded
- eyelid vs tarsorrhaphy
- buldozer vs tractor
- buldozer vs budwisser
- bowdlerizes vs bowdlerized
- bowdlerised vs bowdlerized
- bowdlerized vs bowdlerizer
- bowdlerized vs nfg
- bowdlerized vs antiseptic
- expurgate vs omit
- expurgate vs censure
- expurgate vs expounge
- expurgated vs expurgate