different between extinguish vs inextinguishable
Borrowed from Latin extinguo (“to put out (what is burning), quench, extinguish, deprive of life, destroy, abolish”), from ex (“out”) + stinguere (“to put out, quench, extinguish”).
- IPA(key): /?k?st??.?w??/
extinguish (third-person singular simple present extinguishes, present participle extinguishing, simple past and past participle extinguished)
- (transitive) to put out, as in fire; to end burning; to quench
- (transitive) to destroy or abolish something
- She extinguished all my hopes.
- They intended to extinguish the enemy by force of numbers
- 1668 December 19, James Dalrymple, “Mr. Alexander Seaton contra Menzies” in The Deci?ions of the Lords of Council & Se??ion I (Edinburgh, 1683), page 575
- The Pupil after his Pupillarity, had granted a Di?charge to one of the Co-tutors, which did extingui?h the whole Debt of that Co-tutor, and con?equently of all the re?t, they being all correi debendi, lyable by one individual Obligation, which cannot be Di?charged as to one, and ?tand as to all the re?t.
- (transitive) to obscure or eclipse something
- The rays of the sun were extinguished by the thunder clouds.
- A beauty that extinguishes all others by comparison
- (transitive, psychology) to bring about the extinction of a conditioned reflex
- Many patients can extinguish their phobias after a few months of treatment.
- (transitive, literally) to hunt down (a species) to extinction
- (intransitive) To die out.
- put out, quench, douse
- See also Thesaurus:destroy
- fire extinguisher
- extinguish in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- extinguish in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.
extinguish From the web:
- what extinguisher to use on class b fire
- what extinguisher is used for electrical fires
- what extinguishes a grease fire
- what extinguishes fire
- what extinguisher to use on class a fire
- what extinguisher to use on class c fire
- what extinguishers are called abc
- what extinguisher for electrical fire
- unextinguishable (obsolete)
in- +? extinguishable
inextinguishable (comparative more inextinguishable, superlative most inextinguishable)
- Incapable of being extinguished, not extinguishable.
inextinguishable From the web:
- inextinguishable what does it mean
- what do inextinguishable mean
you may also like
- extinguish vs inextinguishable
- fopling vs taxonomy
- foilings vs foplings
- foalings vs foplings
- fopling vs foiling
- fouling vs fopling
- foaling vs fopling
- fopling vs fowling
- ashfall vs taxonomy
- midhinge vs taxonomy
- deromanticising vs deromanticizing
- marbledcat vs fittings
- enmarbled vs enmarble
- marbled vs warbled
- ungarbled vs unmarbled
- enmarbled vs unmarbled
- marbled vs marled
- marbled vs garbled
- emmarbled vs enmarbled
- enmarbled vs enmarbles